Block 16 Section 20 Kingston (10 Kennedy Street) is located within the Kingston Group Centre and is 2508m2 in size.
The proponent, Zapari, is proposing a mixed-use development in a desirable location within the Kingston Group Centre. The block is positioned within the heart of the Kennedy Street commercial precinct and features dual access via a rear lane which is accessible off Eyre Street. The design concept is currently a work in progress and we are seeking the community’s feedback on the design/proposed use of the building.
The project includes the demolition of the existing commercial buildings and the construction of a new four (4) storey building. The building may include two levels of commercial accommodation (such as guesthouse/hotel/serviced apartments), three levels of residential/build-to-rent above, a rooftop landscaped garden and two levels of basement car parking with 154 car spaces.
The two levels of commercial accommodation include one level at basement and one at ground to accommodate 54 units. These two levels are proposed to be setback to provide for suitable interaction at street level.
The residential component provides 59 apartments across three levels with a mixture of 1, 2 and 3-bedroom typologies. A landscaped rooftop garden will complement the private open space afforded to each apartment.
The building will provide a strong address to both Kennedy Street and the rear laneway to generate activity throughout the site and surrounds. Vehicle access will be via the rear lane off Eyre Street to minimise pedestrian and vehicle conflict, and to reduce traffic impacts on Kennedy Street.
In addition to what is proposed onsite, offsite works will provide additional public car spaces and street trees on Kennedy Street to improve the amenity of the streetscape. Landscaping to the rear laneway will rationalise access and improve available greenspace within the Kingston Group Centre. It is intended this laneway will retain greenspace for the community as a result of this project.
The subject site is located within CZ2 – Business Zone, which permits the potential uses.
While the details of the design are still being finalised, the overall concept is considered to be consistent with the various applicable Territory Plan Codes. The relevant Codes include the Kingston Precinct Code, Multi-Unit Housing Development Code, the Commercial Zones Development Code, and the general codes where applicable.
The detailed below, the proposal responds well to the overall objectives of the CZ2 Business Zone, which are to:
- Provide for office and business sites that are accessible to public transport and convenience retailing and services
- Provide a diverse range of accommodation sizes and locations for offices close to the retail core
- Encourage provision of convenient outlets for goods, services and facilities to meet the needs of the workforce
- Create vibrant lively pedestrian routes and public spaces
- Ensure a high quality urban environment through use of sustainable design and materials and maintain a high level of amenity for employees and the public
- Promote active living and active travel
- Provide a high quality public realm by facilitating active uses on ground floor level that connects with the wider open space, pedestrian and cycle networks to promote active travel and active living.
- Encourage an attractive, safe, well-lit, and connected pedestrian environment with convenient access to public transport
It is considered the proposal will provide residential dwellings in a location directly adjacent an existing commercial centre to promote active living and active travel. Further, the considered façade design will provide greater passive overlooking opportunities to both frontages which will deliver a High-Quality public realm. These façades will work in association with the off-site works proposed to ensure lively pedestrian routes and public spaces and encourage an attractive, safe, and connected pedestrian environment with convenient access to public transport.
Plans are available for download via the below link. Please note that these plans are a work in progress and may be subject to changes following this consultation process and through the detailed design development stage.
The project team is also considering an optional facade design which can be seen by clicking on the link below:
Purdon is aiming to lodge a DA for this proposal by March 2023. The timeframe for issue of development approval is unknown at this point.
Opportunities for Community Input/Feedback
Purdon will be undertaking community consultation on behalf of the Proponent, commencing Tuesday 17th January until Friday 3rd February 2023.
We will hold an online information session as follows:
- Wednesday 25th January 2023, starting at 5:30pm. To attend please register your interest at email@example.com. A Microsoft Teams meeting link to the session will be emailed to you the day prior to the session.
The project team will also be contacting various community groups to ensure their members and other interested persons have the opportunity to provide comments prior to the lodgment of a Development Application.
If you would like further information or wish to discuss the Proposal, please do not hesitate to contact Purdon on:
(02) 6257 1511
Or use the ‘have your say’ form below to provide comments.